When & What to Report

When to report a student of concern

If you are unsure if you should report a student, please contact Student Advocacy and Support at 402-472-0878 or studentadvocacy@unl.edu for consultation.

Routine Worries

Elevated Concerns

  • Multiple situational stressors
  • Disturbed or distressed, with difficulty coping
  • Single disruptive episode
  • Suicidal ideations

Rapidly-Evolving Concerns

  • Multiple disruptive episodes
  • Follow-up communication or collateral revelation

In emergency situations:

Dial 911 or UNLPD (402) 472-2222

  • After contacting emergency personnel, please fill out a Student of Concern report and indicate you reported to emergency services

What constitutes concerning behavior?

Anything that causes you to worry about a student’s mental health or emotional well-being, including:

  • Suicidal ideation or attempt
  • Hospitalization for mental health crisis
  • Disturbances on campus or in the classroom
  • Difficulty managing multiple or extreme stressors
  • Unhealthy eating habits/concern for eating disorders
  • Uncharacteristic changes in mood or behavior
  • Showing symptoms of overwhelming distress causing ineffective or unhealthy coping strategies
  • Exhibiting disproportionate emotional responses to situational stressors
  • Marked changes in personal appearance resulting for poor maintenance and hygiene
  • Disruption to academic progress or ability to engage with coursework (frequent absences, excessive missing assignments, etc.)